The museum of festival float in Sawara
- Sawara area
place : Sawara-I, Katori City
The grand festival of Sawara is counted as a Kanto three major float festival.
14 floats are used for the festival in summer autumn festival, and ten floats for the summer festival.
Two floats are always exhibited in the float hall.
The float is made from the zelkova, and is about eight-meter height.
The splendid sculptures decorate the floats.
The expert made a big dolls for the floats in the period of Edo era to the beginning of the Showa era.
You can experience the tradition and the culture of "Float event of Sawara".
The museum is within the enclosure of Yasaka Shrine.
"Antique fair" is opened in Yasaka on the first Sunday every month.
The following have been exhibited.
Three panorama screen where spectacle of grand festival is projected.
Dolls made 270 years ago.
The plus information
The nearby sights
- Historic street of Sawara(National landscape conservation area)
- Machi-gurumi Museum at-home
- Toyohashi-bridge (Jah-jah bashi)
- Memorial hall of Inoh Tadataka
The sights a little way off
- Sawara area
- The museum of festival float in Sawara
- 3368, Sawara-I, Katori City
- Mondays(When the Monday is holiday, closed next day) and February 29 - January 3
- 9:00 - 16:30 (To 20:30 for the Gion Matsuri period)
- [admission] fee
- Adult 400 yen(group [15 people or more] 350 yen each ). Below junior high school student 200 yen,(group [15 people or more] 150 yen each)
By train : Getting off at Sawara Station, JR Narita-line. And 15 minutes on foot
Please confirm the JR timetable.
By car : Higashi Kanto Expressway, 10 minutes from Sawara-Katori exit
By High-way bus: Kanto Railways Green Bus from Tokyo Station for Hokota-station, Get off at Yasaka-mae
Keisei bus, from Hamamatsu-cho, or Tokyo-station, by way of Sawara, for Choshi. 20 minutes from Sawara-eki Kitaguchi.
- Free parking standard-sized car, large-size car
- fish boiled in soy sauce, pickles, local sake, sweet potato cake, and Japanese cloth etc.
- Katori City Sightseeing division; Tel.0478-50-1212